Topic: Your Favorite Allegories (Books or Films)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Conan Conan 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Boaz_Jachin
    Boaz_Jachin
    Participant

It is no secret why we are all here and what the construct was to establish the SoW. It was Star Wars and specifically, JKA. If you have a favorite allegory in the form of a film or book please post them and tell us why you appreciate these stories and what you have learned from them.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Boaz_Jachin Boaz_Jachin.
    Conan
    Conan
    Participant

My favorite book(s) with an allegory would probably be the current series I’m reading now. Wheel of Time, to sum it up; the stories it holds can make you learn to have courage to defend yourself and the ones you love (Rand, in this case. Still on book 4, so that’s as much as I can gather),taking risks and leading your way in life (Matrim in this case) and lastly would be standing up for what you believe, and to find yourself. (Perrin, in this case).
    As for movies, it would most likely be V for Vendetta and The Prestige. V would be you can be the one who controls your path, not any form of power(Government/Parliament in V’s case) and the Prestige, well.. As complex as it is, greed can lead to your downfall, or if you look at it from Tesla’s perspective; Fringe science should be explored but with extreme caution.(Or to simplify, some inventions shouldn’t exist)
    As for last part shall we add games to the list? We already know that gaming can be beneficial for the mind and a stress reliever, and well.. In SoW’s case it is a training tool :).

On my end, would probably be Guild Wars or Halo (Two games I personally grew up with). Guild Wars, with the story and lore made you feel determined in a way. While Halo made you feel like you were fighting to protect something(Talking about Halo 1-3. Reach,ODST, or 4 are excluded.)

Anyway, that was a good idea starting up this thread. It may lead to new books or movies we could all enjoy!

Boaz_Jachin
    Boaz_Jachin
    Participant

Yes, V for Vendetta is a good one and so is The Prestige. I liked The Prestige as well. Tesla gets far less credit for his achievements than he deserves, but his technologies have been suppressed for over 100 years.

I remember seeing V for Vendetta when it came out and it was right on cue. These stories through allegory either literally telling you about evil in the world or through a more veiled means can help people if they have the eyes to see it and ears to hear it.

brandom
    brandom
    Participant

matrix

brandom
    brandom
    Participant

any bruce lee obviously

Conan
    Conan
    Participant

Brandom, to quote Boaz: ” If you have a favorite allegory in the form of a film or book please post them and tell us why you appreciate these stories and what you have learned from them.
    You stated your favorite allegories on the movie parts, but what have you learned from them? Did they provide comfort or something you can use in the future?
    With that being said, other then movies; what book(s) had an allegory which held a deep meaning to you?
    Anyway to add more to the list, I’ve added a couple Anime/manga I’ve read: Berserk basically conveys Perseverance, as in the survive no matter the cost. (In this case, an eye and a hand.) Psycho-Pass (Newly added Netflix-anime) showed that everything holds a secret, that and the antagonist believes we should be the ones in control of our lives(Which is true!). I could go on, but if you want the full list I’ll post the rest sometime next week, if requested.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Conan Conan.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Conan Conan.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.